Pacing outside the office, feeding my pack a day habit, I decided I needed a place to talk about books and butts. Welcome to my sidewalk.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Sublime - c'est nous!

One of the items I'm including on my Christmas wish list is a pricey little paperback: Cigarettes are Sublime by Richard Klein. According to Booklist, "Klein's survey of the history of cigarettes and their gestalt of ritual, seduction, contemplation, and danger is fruitful and often surprising. [...] As Klein discusses the representation of cigarettes in literature and film, he also tracks various attitudes toward smoking. He believes the current zealous condemnation goes far beyond matters of health and drifts into issues of personal freedom. But he never denies the fact that smoking cigarettes is bad for you. Of course they're hazardous, that's why they're sublime: they combine pleasure with an "intimation of mortality."

Sigh. At last, someone who understands. It's well, sublime.

1 cigs left in the pack:

Patrick J Patten said...

hey how's it going. how did you get our feed in your blog? that totally looks great. wondering ifyou could let me know the code, i'd like to cut and paste into my blog
thanks