Pacing outside the office, feeding my pack a day habit, I decided I needed a place to talk about books and butts. Welcome to my sidewalk.

Monday, February 26, 2007

So you think you know something...

While looking about for books about the recently deceased 2006 Kentucky Derby winner, Barbaro, I stumbled across Barbaro, A Nation's Love Story by Pamela Brodowsky and Tom Philbin. It's slated to come out today (!), more than a month earlier than Sean Clancy's Babaro: The Horse Who Captured America's Heart. Clancy's book has been excerpted on The Blood-Horse website; he's a former jockey himself, and in recent years, has published the Saratoga Special, amongst other things.

I'm not familiar with Brodowsky, who's also got a book on the Kentucky Derby coming out in April. A peek at her previously published titles reveals that she is the author of Staying Sane When You're Dieting, Staying Sane When Your Family Comes to Visit, and Staying Sane When You're Quitting Smoking. I seldom trust these authors of multiple titles in a self-help series, my theory being that one can be an expert in a few things, but rarely is one an expert in so many diverse areas. Apparently, though, the titles include a lot of humor, and I suppose funny folks are funny no matter what the topic. Still, none of these earlier works lead me to believe that Brodowsky will provide additional insight to the tragic tale of last year's Triple Crown hopeful.

So yes, in April, I'll be puffing a Marlboro -- while I read Sean Clancy's book.

0 cigs left in the pack: