Pacing outside the office, feeding my pack a day habit, I decided I needed a place to talk about books and butts. Welcome to my sidewalk.

Monday, April 30, 2007

Allegheny County's smoking ban

The ban on smoking in bars and restaurants in Pennsylvania's Allegheny County goes into effect May 1 -- just in time for springtime in Pittsburgh. The good news is that the County has issued waivers to a number of establishments that employ fewer than 10 people and don't serve much food. The list of establishments where smokers are still welcome is online at http://www.achd.net/smokingban/waiver.html .

The good news is that Dee's on Carson Street and the River City Inn at PPG Place will still let you light up with a good bourbon to watch Saturday's running of the Kentucky Derby. Sadly, the Meadows OTB in West Mifflin, where you can actually watch and wager on the Derby has not received a waiver. Fortunately, there's an OTB in Greensburg, so yes, I'll be taking my disposable income over the border to Westmoreland County.

0 cigs left in the pack: